Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Speaking of laughter

I went to the MCA Denver last weekend with a friend to check out their current exhibitions.  As we walked down a hallway, I'm sure we had a confused, perplexed look as we entered a gallery with strange noises coming from it.  Jim Green's installation made us laugh and laugh.  It was something to be experienced.  If you are here in Denver (or find yourself in Denver), check it out before the exhibition closes at the end of October.  It was a hearty reminder to me as to how difficult humor can be in art.  Sometimes we have a tendency to take ourselves a bit serious as artists.  I appreciate those that can pull off some humor in art.  The following photographs put a smile on my face.

Grand Paris Texas, 2008



Aargauer Kunsthaus
Aargauerplatz
5001 Aarau
Switzerland
05 Sep - 08 Nov 2009

I can't decide if it is the sculpture, the photograph or both that make me giggle a little bit.  Talk about a great juxtaposition.  This sculpture is in Paris, Texas.  This photo is actually a still from a video piece about the intertwining of the folks in that little Texas town.  That red cowboy hat atop the pseudo Eiffel Tower is a winner.


Tim Roda
The Centaur, 2009

Galerie Michael Janssen
Rudi-Dutschke-Str. 26
10969 Berlin
Germany
18 Sep - 31 Oct 2009

What a beautiful photograph!  There is a playfulness in Roda's photographs and this very dreamlike image incites memories and contains a bit of enjoyable humor.  Oh, and of course the tonal range in the print is wonderful!


Rudi Weissenstein
Fisherman at the street, Tel Aviv, 1952

PHOTO 4 et Galerie Lucie Weill & Seligmann
4 & 6 rue Bonaparte
75006 Paris
France
01 Oct - 07 Nov 2009 

Humor, you ask?  I know, I know, it may not seem that this photograph contains that much humor unless you were me.  The first time I saw it, I totally thought that the man was wearing wings, like angel wings.  Look at it again... doesn't it look like those are angel wings?!  It might have just been me but I laughed pretty hard when I realized that was a big fish on his back and not angel wings.  It takes special people, okay?!

No comments:

Post a Comment