Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A smattering

Please remind me of who I am, 2009

© Lorna Simpson
Courtesy Salon94, New York 


1133 Avenue of the Americas
at 43rd Street
New York, NY 1003

October 2, 2009–January 17, 2010

What a sweet display about identity!  Lorna Simpson acquired vintage photo booth images of African American subjects from the 1940s to '70s.  There is a voyeuristic element, as the subjects were thought to be alone behind the photo booth curtain.  In addition, I am quite intrigued by the placement and random looking nature of the placement of images.  This would be quite the installation to see in person.





FEATHERED EDGE: A NEW INSTALLATION 
 
Photo by Brian Forrest 

152 N Central Ave
Glendale, CA 91203
July 26-November 15, 2009


This photo looks a bit like the rainbow is raining into the MOCA Design Center gallery space.  I know, rainbows raining, right?  On this blog, I haven't showed much other than photography but this installation was too good to pass up.  It reminded me a bit of other textile and thread installations I've seen recently.  It's amazing how it changes the spaces and becomes a factor in the environment, not to mention how aesthetically pleasing it is!





David Wojnarowics 
Untitled, 1988



Synthetic polymer on two chromogenic prints
11 x 13 1/4 in. (27.9 x 33.7 cm)

Madison Ave at 75th Street
New York, NY
September 25, 2009–January 3, 2010

It took me a while to find an image of this work that was larger than a thumbnail.  Glad I found it finally because it is a dynamic image.  I love how the contact sheets are integrated into the final work.  Maybe that's a photo-geek thing.  The digital image of this (like the other works from this week) doesn't do it justice.  It would be wonderful to see the small bits of information to relate the contact sheet images to the larger kissing silhouettes.  What a beautiful representation of bodies.  Did someone say theory concerning the body?!


No comments:

Post a Comment