Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Back to Our Roots!

This week I've decided to go 'back to our roots' in photography.   I found some really excellent 'alternative' process work from other photographers that will be posted above; it made me a wee bit nostalgic.  Of course, I haven't had the time I would like to dedicate to any alternative photography in very recent past but I have been playing with night photography.  As I sit outside with my tripod and click away to wait for a 20 to 30 second exposure, I can't help but think of those fun, calming, long exposures from pinhole cameras.  Oh, I love my pinhole cameras!  I sometimes have to lock up my favorite pinhole camera because I get a little too excited and obsessive with my pinhole shots.  *Sigh*  Feel free to ask if you'd like more resources in that realm.  Anyway, a few (digital) long exposures I've been playing with recently...

 
© Jonah Wright
I'm not sure if I should thank my dog or the moon for helping me get started in my recent obsession with night photography.  As my dog and I were on one of our nightly walks of the 'hood, I probably walked into a couple of things because I couldn't stop watching the moon that looked so great as those clouds were passing by.  I ran back outside with my camera and went to town.


  
 
© Jonah Wright
I ended up at the business of a buddy's at nighttime.  Of course I misplaced my tripod so I was walking around his seemingly desolate neighborhood with my camera and a very bulky wooden outdoor chair to set the camera on.  Do what ya gotta, right?  Mmm, look at the color in that sky.


© Jonah Wright
There is something that looks so different in these long exposure night shots.  I can't put my finger on what they remind me so much of.  Regardless, this photo was taken out around the campfire after I was out boating a week or two ago with some friends.  Thank heavens for those long exposures so I had plenty of time to make s'mores.  These folks mean business when they start making s'mores, trust me.  I love the ambiguity in their faces created by the blur of that long exposure. 

2 comments:

  1. i am in love with the second photo in this series! you were very successful with the lighting and capturing a very desolate moment in time. i also really enjoy the perspective in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the first image. I like that both sides of the image, moon and street light, are fighting for attention. It is a good commentary on man vs nature, but both sides are deserving of attention. It is a great contrast.

    ReplyDelete