Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Three works currently being exhibited

Little Austria: Group 2, Plot 14 
Océ print, 60 x 80, 135 x 180 cm.  Edition: 10 + I, 3 + I
 6 May - 31 Dec 2009
Opening hours: Mon-Fri 10-18
Zeinlhofergasse 7
1050 Wien
Austria
Phone: 01 . 5878251
Fax: 01 . 5879007

I love this photo and it's quirky, bright nature.  It reminds me of American Gothic, mostly by the very posed, straightforward boxy nature of the pictured couple.  Despite it reminding me of American Gothic, ironically the couple is in a little town that was once the base for the Austro-Hungarian army ("Little Austria").  It is an interesting look at urbanization and global pop-culture/culture.

Suited for Subversion Prototype. 2002
 
Nylon-reinforced PVC, padding, speaker, and pulse reader, 47 1/4 x 31 1/2 x 23 5/8" (120 x 80 x 60 cm). 


Rough Cut: Design Takes a Sharp Edge
November 26, 2008-October 12, 2009
The Philip Johnson Architecture and Design Galleries, third floor
Fund for the Twenty-First Century.
11 West 53 Street New York, NY
(212) 708-9400

I'm in love with this photo.  Sure, I realize that it's more about the design and function of the prototype the guy is wearing but the entire setup is pretty spectacular.  I'm a sucker for good design.  That fire-engine red is strikingly oh-so-intended.  Way back when I worked as a 'sample kid,' handing out all sorts of product food samples in grocery stores.  I found myself relating (speaking of memory) to a Twinkie the Kid costume I had to wear one weekend while handing out Hostess Twinkies.  I was so popular (right?!).  Ironic, I know, for a 17 year-old gay kid.  And then a couple of times I was dressed as a loaf of Wonder Bread (thankfully my face couldn't be seen in either of the genuine costumes.  I'm the only one with the actual pictures-with the head masks off and my big 'ol grin-and I think it needs to stay that way).  I think I'll be alright if I never see another mini-loaf of Wonder bread.  Anyway.  Anyway.  Anyway.  I have this thing for red-brick wall backdrops (real red-brick walls, of course); I love them. The cheekiness of the design (and titling) of the work makes me a bit weak in the knees.  I wouldn't have ever thought about the need for  protection of large-scale street protests in addition to a built-in speaker to help get your point across.  And admittedly, the model is... aesthetically pleasing.  Look at those legs.  Humor me.  This photo makes me laugh a little on the inside every time I see it.

Fredericks Murray
Salt 37
 47 x 58 in., Pigment print - Edition of 7

Hamiltons Gallery
13 Carlos Place
London
W1K 2EU, U.K.
25 Jun - 11 Sep 2009

What a beautiful photograph.  I love the amazingly strong, bold color yet apparent softness (how's that for sounding contradictory?).  The concept of memory, time and of things past are abundant to me through the ominous coloration and how it that horizon line feeds into the light.  It is so simple yet complicated.  Well, rather than simple, it is made to look effortless and simple.  The photo is so visually striking, not to mention a beautiful large beast of a print (at nearly 4' x 5').  Yes, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment